Scrappers’ struggles against Thunder continue in 4-2 defeat
Mahoning Valley is 0-9 against Trenton so far this season
NILES — Christmas in July was celebrated Sunday at Eastwood Field.
Christmas music filled the air throughout the afternoon. Santa and his elves roamed the stadium. Workers and fans alike were decked out in festive hats and outfits.
And, as they have done all year long, the Trenton Thunder played the role of the Grinch who stole the holiday cheer.
For the ninth time in nine tries this season, Trenton filled the Scrappers’ stockings with coal. This time, it was a Thunder 4-2 win over the Scrappers in front of 1,793 fans at Eastwood Field.
Trenton wasted no time turning Mahoning Valley gifts into runs. Kolby Johnson and Jack Lynch, the first two batters of the game, reached on back-to-back singles. Johnson scored on a fielding error by Scrappers catcher Antonio Fernandez. Lynch crossed the plate on a bases-loaded walk.
Trenton extended its lead to 3-0 in the third on a Joe Impeduglia 414-foot home run to right field. The Scrappers cut their deficit to 3-2 in the bottom half of the inning on an Owen Young two-RBI triple. However, that would be the only scoring of the afternoon for the home team.
The Thunder added the game’s final run in the top of the fourth with a Jack Lynch sacrifice fly which plated Angel Mendoza.
Scrappers starter Trae Robertson worked four innings while taking the loss. Robertson gave up four runs (two earned) and six hits. A trio of Scrappers relievers combined to work five scoreless innings, giving up just two hits.
Oddly enough, despite their 0-9 record against Trenton, Scrappers pitchers have had success against the Thunder this year. The Thunder have scored an average of just 4.1 runs per game against the Scrappers.
However, the Scrappers offense has managed to score just 14 total runs in those nine games.
The Scrappers begin a six-game road trip on Tuesday which will take them to West Virginia and State College. They return home July 31.
SECOND CHANCE
For the vast majority of MLB Draft League players, participating in the second half of the season is all about an opportunity to showcase talent and finally get recognized by scouts. The goal is to hear your name called in a future draft, or to perhaps sign a free agent contract.
Scrappers outfielder Christian Johnson is an exception.
Been there, done that.
Now, for Johnson, it’s all about a second chance.
Johnson already experienced a taste of professional baseball. He was drafted out of Clinton (MS) High School in the 19th round of the 2019 by the Tampa Bay Rays.
Johnson, 22-years-old, spent three years in the Rays organization before being released in August of 2022.
“I have no regrets,” Johnson said. “For three years I was part of the top overall organization in baseball and during that time I had the best coaching, the best facilities, I had everything around me to be able to learn and to be the best player I could be.”
At Clinton High, Johnson batted .432 and led his team in stolen bases. He was regarded as the top outfielder in the state of Mississippi during the 2019 season.
While with the Rays organization, Johnson spent two seasons in Rookie Ball. He then advanced to the Class A-level Charleston RiverDogs prior to his release.
“It’s pretty eye-opening. You go from facing guys who throw in the 70s to maybe mid-80s to facing guys who all throw 95,” Johnson said of his jump into pro ball. “Then in Rookie Ball, you face guys who throw 95 but still don’t have any control.”
“Now you get to Charleston and everyone throws in the 90s and with control. The biggest difference as you progress isn’t necessarily the skill level. It’s the knowledge of the game, and being able to do all the little things just right.”
Because Johnson signed with the Rays right out of high school, he immediately surrendered all athletic eligibility at the collegiate level. This past off-season he sustained injuries in an automobile accident and was set to enroll at the University of Alabama-Birmingham.
Then, he received a phone call from MLB Draft League president Sean Campbell inviting him to take part in the second half of the season.
“I was out of commission until February and I almost gave up on baseball, but in the back of my mind, I knew I didn’t want to walk away,” Johnson said. “Then I got that call, and I knew I wanted to give it another shot.
“I want to prove to myself and to others that I still have what it takes to get back into pro ball.”